Murrupurtiyanuwu Catholic Primary School
Murrupurtiyanuwu Catholic Primary School is located at Wurrumiyanga on Bathurst Island. The Sisters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart established the school, originally known as St. Therese’s school, in 1912. The school was renamed Murrupurtiyanuwu Catholic School (MCPS) in 1991 and is managed by the Catholic Education Office. MCPS caters for girls and boys from Preschool to Year 6. Current enrolment is more than 240. The school has a combined staff of 42, 30 of whom are Aboriginal. Of these, there are approximately 16 Aboriginal staff who work as teachers, assistant teachers, literacy workers and ancillary staff. MCPS is managed by a Tiwi leadership team. To further their secondary education, students from MCPS move to Xavier Catholic College at Wurrumiyanga, Tiwi College at Pickataramoor, or to boarding colleges in Darwin and interstate.
Principal: Berkley Muldoon
Phone: 08 8978 3986